Job Description: Sterilization Technician
The Sterilization Technician helps the dental team by improving patient services, efficiency, and productivity by successfully managing sterilization protocols.
High school diploma or equivalent
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
- CPR, & First Aid Certificate
- Be an active participant in staff meetings
- Perform other tasks as assigned by office manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Strictly adhere to infection control standards, staying current with changes as they occur
- Process dental instruments and patient care items through the sterilization process safely and efficiently
- Maintain sterilization equipment, following manufacture maintenance guidelines and intervals
- Turn over operatories, transporting dirty instruments to the sterilization area for processing
- Set up treatment rooms for the next patient procedure
- Assist with ordering of clinical supplies, following a tag system designed by your Burkhart Account Manager
- Prepare hygiene rooms including, but not limited to, set-up, decontamination, sterilization of all instruments, cleaning handpieces, and restocking supplies
The work environment characteristics described here represent those employees encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Occasionally exposed to toxic and caustic chemicals and risk of radiation.
- Noise level is usually moderate.
- The general work environment can become somewhat hectic since everyone works on a time schedule governed by patient appointments.
- Ability to both physically and emotionally effectively handle the anxieties associated with the job.
- Ability to maintain composure and professionalism when exposed to stressful situations.
- Knowledge of OSHA and state regulations
- Knowledge of the English language – composition, grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Skilled in the use of standard office equipment including telephones, calculators, copiers, fax, computers, and computer software (MS Excel, Word, Practice Management software)
- Ability to instill trust from the doctors, co-workers, and patients
- Ability to work cooperatively with management, staff, and patients
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and complete tasks in a timely and independent manner
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions and accept constructive criticism
- Ability to collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to communicate and express thoughts and ideas competently
- Ability to quickly grasp relevant concepts regarding duties and responsibilities
- Good interpersonal skills to maintain effective rapport with patients, dentists, other staff members and community
- Effective verbal skills to communicate with patients and staff
- Team player
- Able to adapt to office policy improvements (office is constantly striving for improved customer care/service)
- Conflict resolution experience
- Customer service or patient relations experience
- Quick response/accurate data entry
- Communicate all concerns to Office Manager